What Is Non-Duality?
That is a good question. Simply put, non-duality is the idea that we and everything around us are all one, universal being. But to be more specific, the answer isn't so simple as non-duality is very difficult to define. The idea that you and I or you and your dog are exactly the same can be non-sensical to the mind, but those who have realized their true, non-dual nature say that is exactly so.
There is a famous quote by Ram Dass, also known as Richard Alpert, the American spiritual teacher and former Harvard academic and clinical psychologist. “Religions are founded by what mystics say when they come back; but what the mystics say is not the same as what happened to them.” In other words, the true reality of what's going on is so bizarre and foreign to our typical mode of human thinking that there’s no possible way to convey a clear understanding of it through words. However that hasn’t stopped people from trying, and inevitably those who have listened form their own interpretations which are invariably incorrect.
Below are some of the better attempts to explain non-duality through words, but please do not forget that an intellectual understanding will never come close to the actual experience of non-dual awareness. The links will take you to other websites and videos.
- Wikipeida: In spirituality, nondualism, also called non-duality, means "not two" or "one undivided without a second". Nondualism primarily refers to a mature state of consciousness, in which the dichotomy of I-other is "transcended", and awareness is described as "centerless" and "without dichotomies"... read more on Wikipedia
- An interview with Jeff Foster: The world created by thought, the world of words, language, and concepts, is the world of opposites. ‘Up and down’, ‘this or that’, ‘inside and outside’, ‘right and wrong’, ‘black and white’, ‘true and false’, ‘positive and negative’, ‘me and you’ and so on.... read more on lifewithoutacentre.com
- What is Nonduality? by David Buckland (Science & Nonduality): Nonduality is derived from the Sanskrit Advaita, meaning not 2. In other words, Oneness, “one without a second”.... read more on scienceandnonduality.com
- Urban Dictionary: Not two. Non-separateness. The nature of reality. ... read more on urbandictionary.com
- What Is Advaita or Nonduality?: What is Advaita, or nonduality? Advaita means nondual or "not two." This oneness is a fundamental quality of everything. Everything is a part of and made of one nondual conciousness.... read more on endless-satsang.com
- What is Non Duality? - YouTube (uploaded by James Traverse): A good explanation on video by James Traverse... watch on YouTube
- Nonduality.com: What is Nonduality? Over 100 definitions, explanations, descriptions, and discussions - Jerry Katz, editor... read more on nonduality.com
- The Many Faces of Nonduality: David Loy, a professor, writer and Zen buddhist teacher in the Sanbo Zen tradition, explains non-duality during an interview with Insight Journal. Read on buddhistinquiry.org
- Non-Duality for Dummies: A Simple Approach for Understanding the Basics of Non-Duality: A very nice introduction to non-duality on what it is and also what it isn't by a young woman coming to understand it herself. Read on yogainyourlivingroom.com
- Non-Dual Awareness: Seeing Through Your Assumptions: what we call being “spiritually awakened” is the self-realizing of our own habitual pattern of mis-perceiving that distorts reality, and therefore, also obscures our own truth... read more on zenthinking.net